It is now essential to protect your Whatsapp from hackers trying to leverage your contact list to advertise dubious offers and investment schema to scam others in your own name. Whatsaap two-factor authentication (2FA) is the solution and this is how I activated my Whatsapp 2FA:
1) Open your Whatsapp application on your Android or iOS device or other devices
2) Go to Settings
3) Locate and click on Account (Privacy and Security options)
4) Tap the Two-step verification to activate WhatsApp two-step verification to protect your WhatsApp account from hackers and scammers.
5) Click Activate and enter your 6 digits PIN code twice
6) Then enter your email (be careful and ensure it is an email you have access to frequently or you may lock your self out if can't access your mail when needed to retrieve or reset your WhatsApp verification PIN)
7) That's all, your Whatsapp is now secured and if anyone tries to swap your Whatsapp number to their device to hack it, you will get a request to reset or de-activate your Whatsapp two-step verification PIN. If you are not the one that requested such, just ignore and avoid clicking the link sent to you via mail so that Whatsapp can help prevent and block the unauthorised user from accessing your account.